From Huw Roberts <...@mmlive.com>
Subject RE: Management Targets, Topics and XML Generation of Management I nfo
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:44:53 GMT
I'm eager to figure out how this stuff is going to work together - two
things we need to agree on (or change) are:

1) The implementation provides more structure than does JMX alone, in the
sense that there is a hierarchy of management as defined by the SubContexts.
Something along the lines of
- Phoenix
	- Components
		- Embeddor
		- Deployer
	- Applications
		- FTP-Server
			- Blocks
				- Block 1
				- Block 2
		- Demo
			- Blocks
				- Block 1
				- Block 2
where Components, Applications, Blocks are the subcontexts.  (Blocks could
define subcontexts beneath themselves as well).  I foresaw this is the way
to build the ubiquitous 'Tree' in the left hand pane of the gui.

2) Each 'Target' (which is a block or an application or something else) can
have multiple Topics, where each topic relates to a particular facet of
management.  A good example is that an Application might have two Topics,
one being the 'Application' topic where it can be stopped and started and
given a name, and the other be the 'Log' topic that sets the logging level
desired.  In a gui a thought these would be tabs.  Note that the 'Log' topic
would get repeated in muliple places and would look the same for each.
Currently each topic is exported as its own MBean.

Along with the ability to provide user-friendly descriptions for Targets,
Topics, Operations and Attributes (via the XML), I hope this provides a rich
enough structure to build a good looking gui, while still being open-ended
enough for expansion, and without tying the code base (especially the block
authors) directly to JMX.

How closely do these mesh?  What changes would you like to see?  I'd hate
for this to be parallel and seperate...

- Huw