From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wrapper capable release versions.
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:57:23 GMT
At 03:23 PM 7/13/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>This is a feature request up on the Wrapper site already. On Windows at
>least you would still need an
>application to handle the Wrapper as a service.  So you would end up with
>3 tiers  The extra JVM
>running in memory would also eat up a lot more resources than the native
>Wrapper does.  Wouldn't it
>make more sense to port the Wrapper to the additional platforms?

What I mean is that in the absence of a native layer you could use a java
layer. It would be more heavyweight and less optimal but a good fall back.
So when you have a native layer you would use that else you could use java
layer. The main reason is that would allow all features (ie clean restart
and crash monitoring) but still be able to run on all platforms.

>By the way, a few months back, there was talk about bringing the Wrapper
>into Apache as either
>a top level project or as a subproject of commons.  It seemed to get lost
>with all the JSR talk.  We
>are still in favor of bringing it over.  It would be good to have more
>people working on it. :-)

It has been on my todo for ages so hopefully I will get to it sometime soon ;)

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith