From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Management Proposal
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 00:21:11 GMT
At 12:17 AM 7/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>This email reintroduces and expands on the idea, describing an alternative
>implementation for management functionality.

great ideas! I like. Take a while to digest but I think I really like it.
Hopefully I will get a chance to look at it in more detail on friday.

>So that's more or less where I've got to.  I'd like to see it as part of
>Phoenix, and am happy to make modifications and improvements as required
>to get all or part of it accepted, assuming there is interest.  I really
>believe that it provides a way for phoenix and phoenix  enabled
>applications to expose a rich management interface without knowing or
>caring about what that interface will be, and this seperation of concerns
>is what draws me to Avalon in the first place.

Sold me.

>  That said, I don't think the classes, as attached, are ready to be added
> straight into the source tree.  Instead I'd like to submit changes over
> the course of a week or two that bring this about with less risk and more
>opportunity for input.  Please let me know what you think.

Will do.

One thing you may want to have a look into (if you like) is the J2EE/JMX
specification. It is described briefly at
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2002/jw-0614-mgmt.html

Basically it describes a naming scheme and format for the MBeans (ie what
attributes/methods they should have) for different levels of integration
into J2EE servers.

WOuld this be possible to do with what you are proposing?