From Leif Mortenson <l...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: Wrapper capable release versions.
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:23:54 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> At 12:43 PM 7/12/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>
>>   I was trying to think of how we could make it easier for other
>> projects to build Phoenix applications
>> which included the Wrapper by default.   The Wrapper is not 100%
>> Java, so it would require platform
>> specific distributions.
>

> One thing I would like to do in the future is to create a java
> launcher/monitor in wrapper. ie Rather than a native process launching
> and monitoring phoenix we could have a java app launching and
> monitoring another java app. By doing this we could make wrapper a
> required part of phoenix and thus everyone gets the features it provides.
>
> At least thats in the future ;)

This is a feature request up on the Wrapper site already. On Windows at
least you would still need an
application to handle the Wrapper as a service.  So you would end up
with 3 tiers  The extra JVM
running in memory would also eat up a lot more resources than the native
Wrapper does.  Wouldn't it
make more sense to port the Wrapper to the additional platforms?

By the way, a few months back, there was talk about bringing the Wrapper
into Apache as either
a top level project or as a subproject of commons.  It seemed to get
lost with all the JSR talk.  We
are still in favor of bringing it over.  It would be good to have more
people working on it. :-)

>>    What are your thoughts about modifying the build to produce
>> platform specific distributions,
>> enabling users to get their hands on a Wrapper enabled full release
>> of Phoenix without having to
>> do any builds themselves.
>
> That would be great.

Ok, I will do this as soon as the locations of all the jars are worked
out in that other thread:
"Sevak and the tools.jar file"

Cheers,
Leif