From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Architectural Question
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:39:54 GMT
On Thursday 18 July 2002 02:21 am, Steve Osselton wrote:
> We're starting to use Avalon and have components that require persistent
> initialization (creation of table/entries) and destruction (removal of said
> tables/entries). I was wondering why this is not supported as a framework
> activity interface? I was expecting so see something like a 'Persistent'
> interface with 'create' and 'destroy' operations.

Unfortunately I haven't been around long enough to give a good answer on why
there is nothing akin to 'Persistent', other than it was never needed by
everyone and thus never included in the core framework.

With that said, I would recommend using Initializable and Disposable to handle
your persistent needs.

Also, what container are you using? Fortress now has support for an extensible
lifecycle, http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/fortress/features.html
and
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/fortress/src/xdocs/lifecycle-extensions.xml?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

(I don't think its made it to the site yet).
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org