From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Configuration Validation
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:42:17 GMT
The first pass at configuration validation is in. You can enable it by
uncommenting out the block in kernel.xml to enable the
DelegatingConfigurationValidator.

Phoenix will look for a schema-type element in the blockinfo document, and if
it is found, will attempt to load <block>-schema.xml as the schema. If you
are using the xdoclet xinfo generation, add
@phoenix:configuration-schema type="<type>"
in the javadocs of the configure() method.

Currently the only implemented schema type is 'relax-ng' using the jing
libraries (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html).

The implemented validator (JarvConfigurationValidator) uses jing via the JARV
interfaces (http://iso-relax.sourceforge.net). JARV is a set of interfaces
that can be plugged on top of any validation system. There are other
implemenations available
(http://iso-relax.sourceforge.net/JARV/JARV.html#download) including one that
sits on top of Xerces for XML Schema.

The schema-type approach was choosen so a developer can aggregate blocks from
various sources with schemas in various languages. I choose relax-ng
initially since it was the very easy to learn.

Currently the validator only returns a true/false value indicating compliance,
and any messages from the validator are logged. I'm considering adding a
callback interface to the validator to return messages to the caller for
their own purposes (I'm thinking towards users entering config info in a GUI
and getting validation feedback before commiting config changes).

I have also added relax-ng schemas for the cornerstone blocks I use.
DataSourceSelector, DefaultConnectionManager, DefaultThreadManager and
SocketStreamPublisher (altrmi).
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org