From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: management GUI
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:17:31 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> If I can deploy a client/server setup where I provide a client with two
> files  (server.exe and client.exe) he'll be impressed. Nevermind that
> there's no advantage over a swing client over a web client for
> management of avalon itself -- there's an advantage when you can
> customize the client to also manage your blocks...some people might be
> using the client all day long.

The JMX-based web interface (we're using it with MX4J) is absolutely
sufficient for management tasks. I think it's overkill to provide more
than that for the simple task of managing and configuring Avalon /
Phoenix itself and my own SAR applications and blocks.

However, it is not sufficient for real web applications. It is not
customizable enough for that - maintenance becomes hell, if you leave
the generic path. So, if the general plan is to build the client-side to
a web application, whose server-side is a Phoenix app, then I'm all for
it. However, this will probably duplicate efforts with the Cocoon
project.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring