From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: Mulitple components of same ROLE
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:09:53 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Stephen.
>
>>> 2)  We're deciding that (at least within phoenix) Realms will be
>>> configured and provided to the Authenticator as blocks.
>>

>> +1
>> (and I'm assuming when you say block, you actually mean a
>> component + meta-info .. which is equivalent to the notion of a block)
>

> It is coupled to a Phonix impl at present.  Are you interested in
> using outrside of Phonix - i.e . in servlet context?
>
>>> So, if we
>>> decide to support multiple realms how do we provide multiple components
>>> that implement the same role (in this case Realm) to a Serviceable
>>> component?  Or would that not be the right interface to implement?
>>

>> Yes and no.
>> Some possible approaches:
>>
>> 1. Create an Authenticator component that has a dependecy of a RealmSet
>>   component.  The RealSet establishes the realms using whatever
>>   implementation magic it likes (via configuration info, via dynamic
>>   lookup of available realms in a directory or file-system, etc).
>>   The kernel will supply the RealmSet to the Authenticator based on the
>>   dependecies you declare.
>

> The trouble is that in terms of lifecycle, service(..) is called for
> all blocks before configure(..) is for all blocks.

Hang on - just re-reading this - and I think I disagree.
In Phoenix, blocks are fully processed through the lifecycle one by one.
 I.e. process block A,  process block B, etc.  At least that was how it
was working the last time I looked.  Merlin does almost the same thing -
the only difference being that Merlin defers the start phase until after
all blocks have been initialized.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell