From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: LifeCycleHelper
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 21:05:06 GMT
Stephen,

>> In LifecycleHelper (Phoenix) there is the following block of code...
>>
>>            if( object instanceof Composable )
>>            {
>>                 ..
>>            }
>>            else if( object instanceof Serviceable )
>>
>> .. meaning a thing cannot be both.
>>
>> Could you offer some advice here ...?
>

> If the Phoenix LifecycleHelper reversed the order of assessment then
> you would be ok.  Serviceable should take precedence over Composable.
> That would enable you to have an implementation that supports both
> Serviceable and Composable, but the following assemptions would be
> maintained - if an object implements Serviceable, then it will be
> serviced and will not be composed - but if it is not serviceable but
> supports composable, then it would be composed.

Good suggestion.  Then it is that or a non-backwards compatible switch
over to Serviceable from Composable for AbstractService.  I've emailed
Giacomo as it has been suggested that he is a heavy user of such things.
 The theory is that is Giacomo consents then there is no reason not to
just change it given there are no remaining direct usages in Apache CVS.

- Paul