From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: LifeCycleHelper
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 13:56:44 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the Cornerstone connection package
> (AbstractHandlerFactory & AbstractService) to be Serviceable as well
> as Composable.  Well actually I'm trying to upgrade JAMES to use
> Serviceable instead of Composable.  I felt I cannot ripple that
> changeover into Cornerstone without knockon effects for other
> Cornerstone using applications.  So I am trying to make them dual mode.
>
> In LifecycleHelper (Phoenix) there is the following block of code...
>
>            if( object instanceof Composable )
>            {
>                 ..
>            }
>            else if( object instanceof Serviceable )
>
> .. meaning a thing cannot be both.
>
> Could you offer some advice here ...?

If the Phoenix LifecycleHelper reversed the order of assessment then you
would be ok.  Serviceable should take precedence over Composable.  That
would enable you to have an implementation that supports both
Serviceable and Composable, but the following assemptions would be
maintained - if an object implements Serviceable, then it will be
serviced and will not be composed - but if it is not serviceable but
supports composable, then it would be composed.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL