From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: thinking Merlin/Pheoix stuff ...
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 07:58:27 GMT
On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:21, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> >It must be possible for those constriants to be declared by component who
> >needs them and then if the container understands constriant it must be
> > able to validate this somehow.
>
> Specifically - (a) composer aggregates constraints from possibly
> multiple component meta declarations, (b) composer creates dependent
> component/s and supplied constraint/s as part of lifecycle/lifestyle
> processing, (c) container handles constraint validation (d) composer
> supplies assembled container to the target component.
>
> Where composer == Merline/Phoenix/...
> Container ==  any composite component (e.g. an ORB)
> Component == the thing declaring the dependecy constraints

Thats diferent from what I am thinking atm. Using my own terminology cause
yours sucks ;)

Component A = thing declaring dependencies
Component B = a composite component that A depends upon
Constraint x, y, z = Constraints that A requires from B
Kernel = Merlin/Phoenix

The process would be;

* Kernel creates B and does its lifecycle stuff
* Kernel creates A
* Kernel checks to see if B satisfies constraints x, y and z
* Kernel sets up A using service B

Note that at no point was B informed that it had to satisfy constraints x, y,
z - that is part of assemblers job to get right, not developers job IMHO.

Thus it becomes up to container to interpret/validate constraints and up to
assembler to assemble an application correctly. Basically comes back to my
dislike of putting assembly information in the BlockInfo files.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald