From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: management GUI
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:53:35 GMT
> > hmm. Phoenix already has pluggable management protocol (the only one atm
> > is JMX though). I'm thinking either a client that talks to the
> > MBeanServer in phoenix, or one that talks to a different kind of server
> > (maybe SOAP or something BSH-like).
>
> How about making the initial request via HTTP over the HTTPConnector of
> MX4J and then have the server deploy a custom client via Java Webstart?
> That way you could have a real GUI client that is even bookmarkable :)
>
> If I understand JMX and MX4J correctly, there is no need for yet another
> communication protocol. Your GUI could make a HTTP request to a certain
> URL (see MX4J API for this) and get back a real XML document. This
> procedure already works today and what more could you want?

- speed (!= http)
- sensible protocol (I know too much about JMX to like it, one thing I
know about it is that it is not really compatible with non-java, whereas
SOAP is buzzword number one in serverland)

java webstart might be cool though. But why have your app served up by
MX4J? Is there an advantage there?

Also, I recognize the speedup in delivery time (as you say, it already
works today), and have in no way made up my mind yet. Regardless of all
that, I don't have cycles to write this anyway.

cheers,

- Leo