From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: Block interface question...
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 16:36:26 GMT

Andrei Ivanov wrote:

>Hi, ok, with next release :-) damned deadlines...
>Btw, are there any examples you recommend to look at to start with
>ServiceManager and Serviceable?

ServiceManager is semantically equivalent to ComponentManager.  They
both have a lookup and relase operation.  The only significant
difference is that code written for a component manager may narrow an
object to Component - whereas code for a ServiceManager allows
java.lang.Object.

Rolling over is easy: (a)  replace Composable with Serviceable, (b)
replace the compose operation and ComponentException with service and
ServiceException and update the imut argement to be a ServiceManager
(c)  replace any ComponentManger references with ServiceManager, (d)
check for any other org.apache.avalon.component imports and handle as
appropriate.

Cheers, Steve.

>Andrei

Stephen J. McConnell