From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classpath question
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:11:38 GMT
Hi,

Heres my recomendation (probably the same as Pauls actually). Create a new
directory "/mailets/" in the .sar file and place all the mailet jars inside
that. This will be extracted to the filesystem as normal and will not be
deleted when undeloying. So it ends up looking like

james.sar file
--------------
/SAR-INF/lib/james.jar
/SAR-INF/*.xml
/mailets/standard-mailets.jar
/mailets/bobs-mailets.jar

When extracted it will look like

$PHOENIX_HOME/apps/james/mailets/standard-mailets.jar
$PHOENIX_HOME/apps/james/mailets/bobs-mailets.jar
$PHOENIX_HOME/apps/james/*.xml
$PHOENIX_HOME/work/james-1234/SAR-INF/lib/james.jar

Each of the mailet jars could have descriptors in one format or another that
you can read and register all the mailets using the descriptor. James would
load each Jar in a new URLClassLoader.

I would package the mailet-api.jar separately. While you *could* place it in
$PHOENIX_HOME/lib I would instead recomend that you place it at
/SAR-INF/lib/mailet-api.jar and then then distribute a *separate* copy to
anyone who wishes to develope mailets.

On Fri, 31 May 2002 21:41, Danny Angus wrote:
> PS I've tried putting jars into $PHOENIX_HOME/lib but get this exception:

That was because only part of the classes were in $PHOENIX_HOME/lib. Any class
placed in $PHOENIX_HOME/lib must be able to be fully resolved (ie linked) to
be usable. I suspect you were not placing mailet-api.jar in $PHOENIX_HOME/lib
and if you had it would have worked I believe.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."