From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James sar unpacks libraries into new "work" every startup
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 12:32:53 GMT
On Thu, 30 May 2002 01:23, Danny Angus wrote:
> > Hmm - can you tell me in what situations this directory is not
> > removed. I have
> > only tested under unix (which has no file locking) but it seemed to work.
>
> Windows, any shutdown at all leaves it intact.

grr... stupid file locking ;)

Okay. If a file can not be imediately be deleted then it will instead be
scheduled for delete at JVM shutdown.

So in theory this should mean that the files will all be deleted by the time
the JVM shuts down. However in practice this may not be so. It seems to be a
JVM/platform dependent behaviour and in 99% of cases the files will be
deleted correctly but the directories may or may not be deleted. The reason
being that delete could be called on directory before it is empty (which will
fail). So in this case you may get a lot of ugly empty directories.

Solutions:

* I could modify phoenix so that at startup all the empty directories (ie
remanents of last run on windows platforms) are deleted.

* I could modify phoenix so that all of work dir is deleted at startup. This
would make it difficult to run multiple instances of phoenix in same
hierarchy unless we added a --work-dir option on command line.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald