From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenixs Deprecated features
Date Sun, 12 May 2002 02:22:02 GMT
On Sun, 12 May 2002 12:11, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> >I also plan to use the converter architecture (in excalibur now,
> > previously of myrmidon) to help with populating the context. Basically
> > converter architecture tries to convert from one type to another type.
>
> Can you give me some liks/references etc. to <resource-ref/>

I am not sure there is any central place where this is documented (except for
maybe in the EJB/Servlet/other specs). Theres some data on it at

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

But basically it comes down to the following. Each application/bean/whatever
can declare that it needs other sresources via something like

<resources-ref>
  <description>...</description>
  <res-ref-name>myKey</res-ref-name>
  <res-ref-type>java.lang.Integer</res-ref-type>
  <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resources-ref>

Translated into avalon terms this would say that the is an entry in the
context under key "myKey" that is of type "java.lang.Integer". Avalon has no
notion of authenticating (thus no need for res-auth) because we have no need.

> and the
> converter stuff

Just look in

jakarta-avalon-excalibur/converter

Basically it contains a bunch of converters that convert strings into types
(like Integers, Longs etc). And there is a master converter that you use like

final Converter c = ...get master converter...;
final Integer i = (Integer)c.convert( Integer.class, "53", null );

So basically you convert to a destination type (Integer.class) from a source
object ("53") in a specific context (null).

> >>Before answering the above, I'll go into a more detail concerning Merlin
> >>configuration semantics.
> >
> >...snip...
>
> There you go again ... snipping the best bits of my emails!
>
> :-)

:)

--
Cheers,