From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenixs Deprecated features
Date Sat, 11 May 2002 04:57:38 GMT
On Sat, 11 May 2002 12:07, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Pete:
>
> No problem with any of the proposed changes.

kool.

> I would like to see addition of support for CascadingConfigurations
> together with the addition of extensions to the .xinfo file to contain a
> default confituation declararation (which would bring Phoenix and Merlin
> almost totally in sync). Any thoughts about how this can be achieved?

A few. Currently I am working on trying to get decent interoperability between
Merlin, Fortress, ECM, Phoenix and Myrmidon. While each container has
slightly different needs there is also a bunch of common ground. Currently
the main things I am interested is getting together a single representation
of component meta data.

The types of component meta data I am thinking of is mainly;

* lifecycle "style": Is it poolable, is it re-entrant, is it threadsafe, is
singlethreaded etc
* context:
   - Context Class
   - Entrys in Context (both name of entry and type of entry)
* service:
   - services required by component
* configuration/parameters:
   - schema+validaiton of Configuration/Parameters

In each different container the info is represented differently. However what
I was thinking of was developing a set of standard javadoc tags and
processing the sourcefile using the XDoclet tool available at;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdoclet

This tool would generate the manifest files, blockinfos, possibly default
configurations and so forth in context of Phoenix/Merlin.

With a different template you could use XDoclet to generate the descriptor
files for Fortress/ECM/Myrmidon.

>  Inital ideas are either (a) implict addition of default configuration
> handling within Phoenix, or (b) the ability to declare an
> alternative/pluggable configuration resolver.

Technically is possible now. I could even add in plugin points to the deployer
if you really want this right away (And you could just create a custom
MerlinDeployer that uses CascadingConfiguration).

I was going to try address it in a global manner first but if you want me to
make it possible for you to overide default behaviour with
CascadingConfigurerr then it should be relatively easy. Just say the word.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald