From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Phoenixs Deprecated features
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 14:18:44 GMT
Hi,

I am slowly going through and preparing Phoenix for another release. This
involves cleaning up bits and pieces and making sure everything that is
supposed to work, actually works.

Some of the following things are deprecated and have been for a while. I would
like to know if anyone is using any of these features and if so tell me so
they can be preserved.

NOTE: Please send replies to the avalon-phoenix-dev mailing list so that this
can be coordinated in one place.

Heres the list of changes that I want to implement. If there is no negative

Feature: Threads pools accessible from BlockContext
Deprecated since: 2001/09/20

 ie The check if the following methods are used anywhere in your code.
  BlockContext.getThreadPool(String)
  BlockContext.getDefaultThreadPool()
Feature: BaseLogger accessible from BlockContext
Deprecated since: Sometime before 2001/04/27

 ie The check if the following methods are used anywhere in your code.
  BlockContext.getBaseLogger()
Feature: Using elements named "block-listener" in assembly.xml
Deprecated since: 2002/01/26

ie the correct element name is <listener/> now so as not to confuse
differences between Block and Applicaiton Listeners.
Feature: Using config elements named"management" to expose services as MBeans
Was only Non-deprecated between 2002/01/12 and 2002/01/25

ie the correct element name is <management-access-points/>
Feature: Using Service class
Deprecated since: 2001/09/25

Deprecated with no replacement.
Feature: Old .sar packaging format
Deprecated since: 2001/10/22

The .sar format previously allowed all blocks to be stored in
blocks/*.bar and libraries to be stored in lib/*.zip, lib/*.jar. This has been
changed so that all jars/libraries are stored in SAR-INF/lib/*.jar and also
allows class files in SAR-INF/classes. The configuration files have also
moved into SAR-INF/*.xml
Feature: Directly Using LogKit Logger
Deprecated since: 2001/10/31

We have been using a Logging facade (in o.a.a.framework.logger.*) for a while
now but have had to support the old form of using the LogKit logger directly.
Dropping support for non-facade would allow us to remove yet another
dependenancy from deployed applications (and allow us to use JDK1.4 Logging
where supported).
Feature: Use old config file name server.xml
Deprecated since: 2001/11/10

SAR-INF/server.xml was renamed to SAR-INF/environment.xml because phoenix and
this configuration was not specific to servers but to the environment in
which the applicaiton executes.

Cheers,

Peter Donald