From "Leo Simons" <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject RE: Statusable
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:47:07 GMT
> Whilst porting the apps, I noted that there is no consitency as to what
> is printed to sys.out at startup of Phoenix.  It is clear that some sort
> of message is needed because newbies, will be underwhelmed if nothing is
> printed.  I believe in the "five second test".  In use, if it is not
> apparent in the first five seconds that some tool is excellent, the
> potential user will dislike the tool.

I am guessing the limit for potential phoenix users is slightly higher...
maybe 15 or so... ;-)

> If we had..........
>
> interface Statusable {
>   void setStatusManager(StatusManager sm);
> }
>
> interface StatusManager {
>   void setStatus(String status);
> }
>
> At startup, the blocks launched could, if they wanted, keep the system
> advised on their status.  After Phoenix has invoked the last lifecycle
> method during a startup it may choose to dump a table of statii to the
> console.  Thus we have a standard output for each block.
>
> We also, in some future management console, have a refreshable table for
> blocks.  The idea is that this info supplements the concrete "started" &
> "initialized" types, with stuff like "listening on port 1234, 321
> transactions performed"
>
> Thoughts?  I'm also thinking this is not just useful for Phoenix....

I agree we need this, but I'm unsure whether an additional lifecycle
method is the way to go. We don't want too many lifecycle methods...
maybe a "reverse command line argument utility" or something could be
available instead...

I'm wondering about IoC...in the end, what you're doing is still sending
messages to system.out....also, what about handling this using std
logging mechanisms.......

I should shut up for today, I guess...lack of coherence...

- Leo