From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Statusable
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:04:46 GMT
I think this is worth re-opening.

Reason?  Well we are about to have SAR files downloadable from the
website and drop into an arbitary Phoneix.  In terms of the "five second
test", it would be handy if the blocks could offer some advice after
start().

For example if a product uses Jo! it may want to say.

    "HTTP Service mounted on port 8080"

At the moment I find myself writing to System.out to help the newbie
know what they should do after launching Phoenix with an app.  It would
be nice if there were some controlled way of output such status info for
a block.

The original idea was to have Statusable [   setStatus(String msg)  ],
but that was rightly shot down as there is much overlap with Logger.  If
Logger were to have a new method for setting of status (or priority) and
the status, as well as being output to the log target, were buffered by
Phoenix for other use :

  1) later retrieval by a management console, webapp or GUI.
  2) after system startup, a once only outputting of statii to the
console (for the newbie)

Thoughts?

- Paul