From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Statusable
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:13:45 GMT
Folks,

Whilst porting the apps, I noted that there is no consitency as to what
is printed to sys.out at startup of Phoenix.  It is clear that some sort
of message is needed because newbies, will be underwhelmed if nothing is
printed.  I believe in the "five second test".  In use, if it is not
apparent in the first five seconds that some tool is excellent, the
potential user will dislike the tool.

If we had..........

interface Statusable {
  void setStatusManager(StatusManager sm);
}

interface StatusManager {
  void setStatus(String status);
}

At startup, the blocks launched could, if they wanted, keep the system
advised on their status.  After Phoenix has invoked the last lifecycle
method during a startup it may choose to dump a table of statii to the
console.  Thus we have a standard output for each block.

We also, in some future management console, have a refreshable table for
blocks.  The idea is that this info supplements the concrete "started" &
"initialized" types, with stuff like "listening on port 1234, 321
transactions performed"

Thoughts?  I'm also thinking this is not just useful for Phoenix....

- Paul