From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SAR-INF/lib - interface/impl separation.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:39:50 GMT
Peter,

>Have a look at
>jakarta-avalon-cornerstone/apps/simpleserver/src/java/org/apache/avalon/simpleserver/SimpleServer.xinfo
>
>It uses the deprecated construct. Run it through phoenix and it will tell you
>the proper construct to use. I believe it involves renaming <management/>
>element to <management-access-point/> or similar.

I have changed that.  I've also poked through all the phoenix code and
it is quite nice.

The class being exported 'SimpleService' has no methods at all.  Thus is
not manageable.  I've looked for a tester that would use the block via
its exported API, but cannot find one.

As mentioned I am 'example orientated' WRT learning, so can't understand
it until I see it in use.  Is it there is no use of this specific
examplet, and that the descriptive prose I'll be writing will be along
the lines of "management of blocks over jmx is possible via this mechanism".

Lastly on a positive note. I think I could use it the same mechanism for
publishing blocks via AltRMI.  I could clone
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.DefaultManager (or use
abstract/final separation) to make a version of phoenix that would
publish in that way instead of JMX.

- Paul