From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Management Interface
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:07:16 GMT
In order to spark movement towards the management interface for Phoenix, let's
get the ball rolling for discussion.  First, how would you prefer to see things
organized?  Second, what types of things are exposed via the MBeans?  Only being
cursorily (is that a word?) familiar with the spec, I will rely on you guys for
helping me out in my deficiencies of understanding.

I guess the first question is: "Is the management interface in a separate VM
from the Server?"

If the answer is yes, then we have the opportunity to have one interface manage
multiple servers.

To that end, I threw together a simplified frame for what I think will be an
efficient and easy to use interface.  It is included with this message.  There
are three major areas:

Control area
SAR selection area
MBean Control area

The Control Area
----------------
This consists of a drop box that allows you to choose the Server that the
management application will connect to.  Along the same bar are the tabs used
for the MBean selection (when we are modifying a SAR).

The SAR Selection Area
----------------------
Each SAR has an icon associated with it (even if it is a default SAR Icon),
with one additional Icon for the server itself (i.e. the ability to remote
start and stop an external server).  When the user clicks on one of the
icons, the Block Control area has a tab for each MBean associated with the
SAR.

The MBean Control Area
This is the large empty space with the tabs above the pane.  The tabs are
for the Main control (start and stop a sar), as well as one per MBean

This modular approach is simple to use, and each MBean control would be an
embeddable panel that is easily selected.  The interface is easily navigable,
and provides a snapshot of what we may want.

What is everybody's opinion on this proposal?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin