From "Jean Louis Seguineau" <jean-louis.seguin...@antepo.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix Server Resource Pooling
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:42:56 GMT
Hi All,

I have ideas actually, I we have put it to work. The basic is that within a
certain context a block could "extend" the service provided by another block
hosted by another application. Let's say we have such things as a
communication bus, a naming service, a connection manager, a thread manager
and so on, that will be deployed by a "core-service" application. Then other
application blocks will declare in the assembly file that they extend a
"core-service" application block by giving its name. This implies adding an
attribute to the <block/> tag in the assembly.xml and provisionning for it
in the BlockMetaData class.

Then we need a mechanism that will work along the lines of the blocks
dependencies processing to process the various applications in the right
order, i.e. the one that provide services to other applications first. This
is done by having the bunch of applications made available to check together
to the Deployer that will order the applications for processing. This
implies the adjunct of a batch process interface for the Deployer where an
array of names and an array of locations is provided instead of a single
name/location pair. Obviously, the Embeddor has to be modified accordingly.

Lastly, we need a mechanism to allow an application to provide references to
block proxies from other applications. This is performed in the
ApplicationContext that is modified to hold a reference to the Kernel and
allow a new getBlock that takes an application name and a block name as
parameters. Obviously, the Application getBlock is modified accordingly to
look in the context when necessary. Impact falls on the ApplicationContext,
DefaultApplication, DefaultKernel and LifeCycleHelper.

I have attached the modified classes so that you can look at it. For the
time being it serves our purpose, i.e. we work in a trusted environment and
I have not extended fully all the security management issues. And as I
mentioned, it is only working in a single JVM environment. I am sure you
guys will have ideas on the subject to extend it further :)

Cheers

Jean-Louis

P.S. As we do not want to mess up original Phoenix sources, the modified
classes are in the com.antepo.accept code base.