avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Example "closed" site
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:44:31 GMT
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> I didn't mean "give them back to the Avalon PMC". As far as I can
> understand, the Avalon PMC is dead and about to be dismantled.
>
> I meant "put them back on avalon.apache.org. Because this is the
> logical place, that people looking at an org.apache.avalon.* package
> will search for them.

I want to stress that if the Avalon PMC is shutdown, that doesn't mean
we'll go about deleting all the Avalon code.  It will still remain
available from the download mirrors and subversion in exactly the same
locations it is now.  Newer versions (if there ever are any) of the
framework would be published over at Excalibur since that is who would
be doing the development.

Now, as for the site, there's still no solid descision yet.  We don't
want to just leave the current site as is, or even roll back to an older
version, because we want to clearly notify visitors that Avalon is
closed.  We don't want to give anyone the false impression that they
should join the mailing list looking for support.  We want to inform
them where they should go for support.  In this respect, we have a
couple of options:

1. Remove all current site documentation.  Redirect everything to a
"closed" page.  Offer prior site docs as an archived file on the
download mirrors.

2. Put a banner on the top of all the site pages which explains that
Avalon is closed with a link to more information.

In the case of #2 we would need to decide if we want to use the current
site or a prior version.

There really isn't much precident for this with the exception of the
Apache Commons project (which is different than Jakarta Commons).  That
project went with option #1.  But we certainly don't have to do the same.

jaaron