avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Another Technical Issue with Framework 4.2
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:29:05 GMT
It seems that merely relying on Framework 4.1.x is not really going to
be an option because the IMPL has some fixes that we need.
Unfortunately, there is the big question of the change in constructor
policy.  We can't really say we support Avalon Framework contracts for
4.2 at this point--but at the same time there are some fixes to the
utilities that we need that are in 4.2.

Unfortunately the damage is done, so we need to address how to avoid
this scenario in the future.

My suggestion is this:

* Any bug fixes get released separately from contract changes.
* Any contract changes must have a lot of noise surrounding them so that
there can be decent communication between the projects that depend on
the framework.

This way, the framework compatibility is preserved in the widest
context, and important bug fixes don't get lost because we don't want to
upgrade to the latest and greatest new contract *yet*.

                 - Rich Cook