avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [site] framework docs mock-up
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:28:29 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> http://www.apache.org/~farra/docs/products/runtime/system/index.html
>
> Here's one mock up for a way to include framework documenation (notice
> the link in the menu on the right).  It doesn't list the framework as a
> product, but does list it as an independent component of the Avalon
> platform.  For some framework users this still might feel too "buried"
> so I'd like some feedback.

It is too buried.  I need something from the main page that will get me
directly where I need to go.  How you get to this spot requires you to
through the "Merlin" product and click "Systems".  This is not intuitive
if I know there is something called Avalon Framework.

I think Systems needs to be on the main page--or at the very least
Avalon Framework.

> No real content has been posted because I don't want to argue about
> wording right now.  Just about idea of including the framework docs in
> this location.

Which is fine.

> If this is acceptable, I'll spend more time on it.  If not, I'll start
> working up some other options.
>
> Also, this still doesn't resolve the further issues about the Framework
> as a product or a 5.0 jump.  There may still be something to discuss
> with those matters.  There may not be.  As far as I am concerned,
> something like this is the bare minimum that should be supplied.

It's a step in the right direction, but it too associated with Merlin to
be really useful.  At this point I am supporting software that uses
Fortress and ECM, so I would rule out the Merlin link from the
outset--which also means I would never find the Systems link.

                 - Rich Cook