avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Technical Concerns over AF4.2
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:57:16 GMT
Bennett, Timothy (JIS/Applications) wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but there is high demand still for that part.  Can't we continue to
offer it until demand grows to the point where no one really wants the
part by itself anymore?  When companies introduce new and better models,
there is still a period of overlap where the old is still sold with the
new.  The old is marked down, but still on the books and is phased out
in a managed process.

> But here is the broader issue, and the one that for the life of me I can't
> understand why more people aren't more excited about, and that is this:

<snip/>

I am excited about it, really.  But also look at it from my perspective.
  I have clients of my own to support that have built things with my
specs.  It is easier for me to support my clients if I have just the
part I need without anything more--for the time being.

Sure I would like to ramp up to the new, eventually.  However, I have to
manage risk with what I have now.  A sudden change and upheaval to my
chassis at this stage would do more harm than good.  I have to make
certain baby steps to build a more adaptable chassis so that I can
eventually support both old and new with the same basic structure.

There is also the reality that the new is not really formally introduced
yet.  It's being advertised, but as I am so often reminded, there is no
Avalon 4 as a whole spec.  There is only Avalon Framework 4 with other
parts packaged together for the luxury vehicle.  I appreciate the work
being done to standardize the parts to make up the luxury vehicle, I
really do.  The thing is that most of the parts for my beater and the
sports car don't work with the new standards yet.  It takes time.

By not having the product I need sold as a product anymore (beating this
horse to death), you are effectively telling me that both I and my
clients are out in the cold.  Hence, my representation of the demand again.

                 - Rich Cook