avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Question about closing a LogKit PriorityFilteringTarget
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 05:26:00 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> I can not think of any reason why you would not want to
> close down the wrapped log targets in the first place.

IIRC it was partially to maintain backwards compatibility and also to
enable the sharing of log-targets between multiple
PriorityFilteringTarget objects. (ie have an "error" target that
triggers a mailout and an "info" target that logs to files).

> But given that
> someone
> went out of their way to provide this behavior, it seems like closing
> them by
> default would be better behavior.

+1

> For now, I am going to modify LogKit so the default is to close the wrapped
> LogTargets when the PriorityFilteringTarget is closed. If there are any
> concerns about this change then I can go back and change it. I only make
> an issue of this because someone appears to have gone out of their way to
> make it work this way...

I think that was me and it will break a lot of code if you make this change.