avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon TLP (was Re: Merlin TLP)
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:53:37 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> I would argue that the "mess" in this equation was the historical
>> absence of specifications concerning important - no - critical
>> semantics.  This is not a Merlin thing - it's simply the fact that the
>> missing semantics are now being documented.
>>
>> There is no longer any reasonable justification for concurrent,
>> conflicting, or non-existent specifications.  If we don't like the
>> resulting Avalon semantics - then we change the specification (within
>> the historical constraints we are subject to).
>

> Please realize that "change the semantics" means _practically_ that
> every proposal by me is summarily rejected, as history bears out.

Not sure what your getting at.

What I'm getting at is that there is still a lot of work to be done to
evolve our specifications to a level that enables the goal of portable
components.  Additional semantics will be needed in places where they
are missing.  I figure a lot of these "new" semantics will not relate to
the framework - instead that will be defined as a collection of Avalon
specifications addressing specific concerns.

I imagine that one of those concerns will be the "Component Model"
starting with version 1.0.

> It
> also means that a Merlin utility is offered to be promoted as a
> distributable, and then magically becomes the standard unbeknownst to
> the rest of the Avalon team.
>
> This sideways definition of semantics and procedural mess is the bad
> that has come from Merlin.  Its as if noone really had a clue what they
> were agreeing to, and then stuck with what was there.  We are not
> microsoft, and we cannot run the community like their EULAs.  Everything
> needs to be discussed out in the open with all side effects enumerated.

You could try getting more engaged in the process - contributing code,
documentation, supporting users, etc.  I have to say that there is a big
disconnect between the view your presenting in the above paragraphs and
the view I (and others) have.

As for improving communication the door is wide open.

Stephen.