avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build a dist - which jdk?
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:14:38 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Just noticed this post from Carsten pointing out some
>>interesting things about the impact of compiling on one
>>version of the the JDK and running under another.
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102491687729497&w=2
>>
>>The answer to Carsten's question concerning Avalon releases
>>.. it's JDK
>>1.4 (at least the releases I've taken care of).
>>

> Oh :) Is it possible to release from now on binaries compiled
> with JDK 1.3?

Here we have a problem - Magic uses 1.4 classes. I think this is tied to
the site transformation stuff.  In theory that could broken out of the
core (which would be a pain but not impossible).

Another approach would be to do an audit on the Avalon codebase for the
usage of StringBuffer. Am I correct in assuming that this is specific to
the StringBuffer.append( StringBuffer )?

Steve.