avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] End the drama
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:38:17 GMT
Bennett, Timothy (JIS/Applications) wrote:

> As I stated in a response to Peter, I just have an aversion to
> marketing-driven version bumps. Is there amicable solution that doesn't
> require such a re-branding?

Hmmm, it is a normal assumption that a change in the generation number
of a product indicates back-incompatibility. This is not marketing, this
is just version management and is consistent thru out the foundation.

What we are asking is to indicate clearly that a back incompatible
transition is happening.

Avalon Framework has always been a product of avalon and thousands of
users depend (indirectly) on it.

We just ask for help in making them find what they depend on and
documentation that doesn't talk about the history of the whole thing,
but just tells them what they need.

I fail to see why some here believe this is such an unreasonable request.

--
Stefano.