avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Versions
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:51:04 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:02:19 -0700, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>
>>Oops, I was actually referring to LSD, but I think you are part of the
>>"baby steppers" :o) as well. I want to be a "baby stepper" when it is
>>practical, and in this case it seems like the most logical thing.
>

> Baby steps is probably the way to go, and a fork would allow you to
> take those baby steps unrestricted.
>
> If you stay with 4.x, then each baby step has to be considered in the
> context of A4, Excalibur, Phoenix, etc. etc. etc.

Sure.

> For example, is the inclusion of Avalon Meta in the specs a baby step
> or not? I'd say it is a baby step from a Merlin perspective. But not
> from a Phoenix or Fortress perspective.

I have in my mind a distinction between "Avalon" and "Avalon
Framework", and it could be that this is the problem at hand. Avalon
Framework will never include Meta, not even under a
'free-for-all-A5-fork'. Hence the Framework will have small
refinements in the AF4.x path. And it will become AF5 with the
deprecated stuff removed, but remain largely compatible.

<snip/>

I have carefully read your suggestions, and in principle we are in
agreement. The only bit of difference is;

1. In my world AF4 exists. "Avalon 4" doesn't exist as a
specification, but as an umbrella for Framework, ECM, Phoenix,
Fortress and Merlin. So, is it not possible to agree that "Avalon 4"
is now split, and we can still agree on the term "Avalon Framework 4"
which will remain compatible as much as possible for component
authors, and reasonably easy for container authors to evolve with.

2. Timing. I am not comfortable of making a release of Avalon 5,
Avalon Planet, without being able to deliver. We need ramp-up period,
and it will take a fair amount of time.

Cheers
Niclas