avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Versions
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:15:50 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Is there anything else that has really been brought to the table?

Problem is a general clash of two mindsets:

Case #1 (pre-merlin 3.3)

     Avalon specification = Avalon Framework

Case #2 (post-merlin 3.3)

     Avalon specification = Framework + Meta + Composition + ...

While the transition between #1 and #2 may have only resulted in
relatively minor changes to the Avalon framework (in terms of actual
code), it has meant a major change to the specification, or Avalon
platform or whatever you want to call it.

The idea of Avalon 5 isn't so much tied to constructors and jar
versioning as it does to the enhancement of the specification.  When we
say we're missing Framework docs, we're missing more than just a
collection of javadocs and cop articles.  We're missing the historic
documents for clients who still use and will continue to only use case #1.

jaaron