avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Regarding The Avalon Framework
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:35:08 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> I think his point is that AF4 is both a component API as well as a
>> Container API/Toolkit, and hence can not evolve at all.
>
> My point is that historically AF4 (and prior) has always been just the
> framework.  I have no problems with there being more to it than just
> framework--but there has been nothing I can see that has made it
> completely obvious that there is more.

Ok. I am trying to get to your main point...

It seems that there is a mis-understanding about AF4 and Avalon at large.
Prior to moving on to Avalon 5, there is Avalon Framework 4.x. which
is contained (codebase wise) in avalon-framework-api-4.2.0.jar and
avalon-framework-impl.4.2.0.jar
There is nothing in Avalon Framework(!) 4.2 stipulating that Avalon
Meta 2.0 has to be supported.

So, the only thing that we could continue to argue, is whether the
Specification Declaration, that AF4.2 compatible containers MUST honor
constructor injection of LifeCycle artifacts, is a reasonable
evolution of the Avalon Framework or not.

I personally think that the change required in the container to evolve
with this 'enhancement' is reasonable, and wouldn't raise much
controversy, hence didn't react much when Stephen made the change.

> IOW, Everything up to Avalon 4.2 is just framework, and Avalon 4.3/5/X
> on includes framework, meta, and anything else I don't know about.

That is because there is no such thing as Avalon 4.2. There is an
Avalon Framework 4.2, which doesn't require Avalon Meta or anything
else (well it requires Avalon Logkit, but that will change later).

Is this a fair assessment of your concerns? And reasonable
explaination that most of this flamefest is a misunderstanding?

I refrain from making any remarks on your mudslinging.

Cheers
Niclas