avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Versions
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:24:20 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

> NOTICE: Moving this part of the thread over from the PMC list.  Since
> Stephen suggested it, I assume he is fine with me quoting his previously
> PMC-posted messages.

I'm getting the impression that this is that this is all about positioning.

> It is about not positioning our users into the garbage bin.

Please - that's plain silly.

> It is about not throwing away all the old
> documentation and work others have done.  It is about respecting the voices
> of our users and peers.

Just for the record - the old documentation of which you fondly
referring to is composed of a bunch of pages describing IOC concepts,
one page describing the lifecycle, and the javadoc.  The entire IOC
concept stuff is available here:

http://avalon.apache.org/central/cop/index.html

But you know this already so I'm not sure what the purpose of this post
is.  You also know that the lifecycle documentation has been massively
improved and is presented here:

http://avalon.apache.org/products/runtime/reference/component/lifecycle/index.html

And lastly - the APIs - as you already know are available here:

http://avalon.apache.org/avalon/runtime/3.3.0/api/index.html

So call me stupid - but when someone claims that its all gone, I kind of
have a hard time rationalizing the assertion.  Umm, smells of politics
if you ask me because nothing technical is being presented.  It's all
noise created by a couple of people not so keen on seeing framework
development.

Ok - we can live with that.

Cheers, Steve.