avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Regarding The Avalon Framework
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:49:05 GMT
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> Avaloners,
>
> There has been some controversy about the status of framework
> documentation under the new site.  I'm hoping to clarify everything in
> this email without starting any flame-wars.

1. Everyone, try to chill down a bit. Aaron is not trying to bring
back old controversy, but is responding with a bit more heat, after
Stephen's over-protection of the 'Single Avalon Platform'. There is no
need to bring in the definition of "Avalon Framework 4.1 Compliance".

2. I think we are on the brink of needing to go straight to Avalon 5
(note the missing 'framework' word), if not for any other reason than
"Marketing" and "Distinctions". That will clear up any misconceptions
of where the line in the sand is drawn.

3. Stephen is basically saying that all the AF docs from the old site
still exists, but they are at different URLs and in a different
context than before.

4. Aaron is basically saying, "Can I have the
http://avalon.apache.org/framework URL back and populate it with the
AF4.1 documentation + any new documentation that I write and doesn't
have meaning in Avalon 5 Single Platform?"

So, everyone, this can not be so difficult.
I am humbly suggesting that;
Whatever content existed under the /framework URL is kept without
redirects, and let Aaron/Leo/whoever feel the urge to make it better.

I am less certain that this section should be advertised on the front
page, but I would be in favour of going via a 'Legacy' link in
Central, and that page explains the current situation, with references
to other so called Avalon containers, AF4.1 framework docs and how the
Avalon 5 Single Platform fits into all of that.

Have I fueled the Flamefest or got someone to react positively, and
can reconsider the 'My way or No way' stance.

Cheers
Niclas