avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What happened to Avalon Framework
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:13:32 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>

>>This became (as expected) a heated move, but Avalon can not,
>>and should not, center around a part that historically been
>>more important, but slowly and surely looses its relative importance.
>>
>>As for the future of Avalon Framework (from the independent
>>vendor's perspective, so to speak) is fairly straight forward
>>and 'safe'.
>>
>>Expect an AF 4.3 (Q3?), with minor additions and likely some
>>more deprecations.
>>Expect an AF 4.4 (Q4?), with an added Availability contract,
>>which I am very keen on getting done.
>>Expect an AF5 (next year), which is largely compatible with
>>AF4, where the deprecated stuff is removed.
>>
>>Expected stuff to be taken out by AF5; Composable and
>>associates, ReXXXable and associates, ThreadSafe and
>>associates, Selectors and the semantics surrounding it.
>>I can imagine that an AF4 compatibility layer could be
>>created for some demanding users, and I am fine with that.
>>

> Can you please give me a pointer to where this roadmap has been
> discussed?

Here on this list.  The notion of 4.3 came up following resolution of
issues concerning logkit implementation dependencies within the api
classes - and from that we broke framework into 3 parts:

    * api (clean)
    * legacy (the offending stuff that was in api)
    * impl (depends on legacy and api)

This is now reflected in avalon/trunck.

The subject of availability has been bobbing around for at least six
months and is a necessary ingredient at the framework level when dealing
with dynamically acquired services (something we are seeing more and
more frequently on the users list).  As for A5 - not much discussion on
this that I can recall but I would also say that Niclas' outline seems
perfectly reasonable.

Cheers, Steve.