avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What happened to Avalon Framework
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:20:23 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> I noticed the lack of framework docs last night and I feel a dedicated
> section belongs with the other "subsystems" at:
>
>   http://avalon.apache.org/products/runtime/system/index.html
>
> The problems with the 'assimilated' approach are
>
>   - From a component author perspective the Avalon framework is the
>     point of contact between my personal development and all this
>     Avalon stuff.

That's the very thing that resulted in divergent and in-compatible
implementation approaches.  Avalon Framework alone does not cut it - its
just a part of the component contract and to build against the contract
you have to take into consideration more than a bunch of interfaces:

   * javadoc tags
   * lifecycle artifacts (Configuration, Context, Parameters,
     ServiceManager, etc.)
   * delivery strategies
   * lifestyles

Tis is presented under the "Component Model" and related javadoc.
http://avalon.apache.org/products/runtime/reference/component/index.html
http://avalon.apache.org/avalon/runtime/3.3.0/api/index.html

Cheers, Steve.