avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What happened to Avalon Framework
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 06:56:48 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Does this mean the framework is not downloadable standalone anymore?
>>
>>Separate jar files will be available.
>>

>>>And is not promoted as a separate "product" anymore?
>>
>>Correct.
>>

> What does this mean for current users of the framework, like Excalibur etc.?

No change - the jars are available and the specs are on-line.

> I guess this also includes that the framework will not be developed
> separately anymore as a general basis for containers?

The framework api expresses part of the contract between a container and
a component.  The complete contract encompasses the apis, meta-info,
documented semantics, etc.  I.e. the framework does not live in
isolation.  However - any container can code provide a implementation
that backing the api - but if you want a general basis you would need to
look beyond just the framework and include avalon-meta into your frame
of reference.  If you want to consider meta-data then you should be
looking into the avalon composition package.  You can also leverage the
avalon-activation system for runtime support.

The choices are really open.

Cheers, Steve.