avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: More site questions
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:56:41 GMT

Sent this prematurely :D  (GAIM --> Ctrl-Enter = newline, Enter = send. Mail
client the opposite... )

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 03:47, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 02:18, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> > 4. Javadocs are missing.  A nice solution would be a central location for
> > javadocs.  Perhaps a page that links to javadocs of various versions.
> > I'm thinking something like:
> >
> > http://avalon.apache.org/central/javadocs.html  <-- central links to
> > api's http://avalon.apache.org/api/${package}/${version}
>
> We have done some thinking, and you have a good point!
>  [suite]/[version]/[api]/ ---> symlink for current [suite]/[api]

<resuming />
Anyway, I leave it to Steve to tweak that right...
[suite] would be only a few, namely (atm);

runtime
studio
planet

> > 5. Legacy docs.  Phoenix docs shouldn't be deleted.  They don't need to
> > be converted to the new form, but they shouldn't disappear either.
> > Actually, what we need is a "legacy" page that explains where things like
> > Fortress, Phoenix, and Excalibur are for people who come to Avalon
> > looking for them.

I have no comments...

> > 6. I'd expect to find links to the general documentation and tutorials
> > under or linked from Products and not Central.  I imagine there will be
> > other users feeling the same way.   Perhaps we need something on the very
> > front page that can help users navigate to the right sections.

I agree on the 'some serious meat' on the front page, without clutter.
I disagree to put tutorials under /products, since many are not as specific as
the various products sections are. And then you will also get the
'splintering' of tutorials all over the place.
One could later add some discrete links on a page by page basis, to an
appropriate tutorial covering the discussed subject. BUT that requires more
man-power than currently available.

Cheers
Niclas
--