avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: finalizing the site
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:33:45 GMT

First off, there's a lot of old stuff in the wiki that needs cleaned up.

Secondly, a lot of it stems from the attitude of the developer community.
If the developers like wikis, then the wiki will be heavily used and well
organized.  If they don't, it will languish.

Personally, I think we need to just figure out the "role" of the wiki.  That
is, what sort of information should be put in the wiki and what should be on
the main site.  Perhaps the wiki is only used for fleshing out long
proposals.  Perhaps it is an FAQ database (I think this is a great use).
Perhaps it contains tutorials.

It doesn't really matter what role it plays as long as it is a consistent
one, which isn't the case for us (yet!).

My proposal:

I. Separate the wiki into two sections:
   A. Proposals and Musing:  a collection of interesting documentation that
      we don't want lost in mailing list archives.  Good place to hash out
      a proposal too.
   B. FAQ: the wiki is a nice convenient place for an FAQ database.  Each
      answer gets it's own wiki page and we have a central page or two
      the organize all the different questions.

Then we can move out the old documentation or link it all to a single
"LegacyWikiDocs" page.  New user documentation, tutorials, and introductory
material will be moved onto the main site.

The two sections above should be liked from the main site via some sidebar
menu item if possible under titles such as "FAQ" and "Proposals" or
"Musings".  Currently there are no links to the wiki under the new site
design.

I'm willing to do the work on this if everyone likes it.

Thoughts?

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS