avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject More site questions
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:18:08 GMT
Hello again.

I know Stephen and Niclas are busy working on the new site, but I still have
some questions/comments:

1. Site update process:  any plan?

2. Download page:  Perhaps we could just have links to the central ASF
download cgi -- http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avalon/

3. I just committed a change to the style sheet for default hyperlinks.  Let
me know if you hate it. :)

4. Javadocs are missing.  A nice solution would be a central location for
javadocs.  Perhaps a page that links to javadocs of various versions.  I'm
thinking something like:

http://avalon.apache.org/central/javadocs.html  <-- central links to api's

http://avalon.apache.org/api/${package}/${version}

so you would have:

http://avalon.apache.org/api/framework/4.1.5/...
http://avalon.apache.org/api/merlin/3.3/...

Or something like that which allows us to keep old copies of javadocs

5. Legacy docs.  Phoenix docs shouldn't be deleted.  They don't need to be
converted to the new form, but they shouldn't disappear either.  Actually,
what we need is a "legacy" page that explains where things like Fortress,
Phoenix, and Excalibur are for people who come to Avalon looking for them.

6. I'd expect to find links to the general documentation and tutorials under
or linked from Products and not Central.  I imagine there will be other
users feeling the same way.   Perhaps we need something on the very front
page that can help users navigate to the right sections.

I'm sure I'll have some other thoughts too.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS
  (724) 696-7653