avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bennett <exterminat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: DBCP
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 22:09:29 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

> JCA is cool, although it was made for a different problem, it solves
> perfectly the connection management problem. I found no simple
> implementation out there, though. And between Geronimo and Jboss
> implementation I took Geronimo's for obvious reasons.
>
> While 'borrowing' their implementation works for me (and for the project I'm
> working on), it doesn't for Avalon. The geronimo code is not even beta.
> Still being refactored and a 'fork' won't be an option. Try to use his
> module won't work either cause they are bound to GBean.

Right.  I've been following the JCA spec from the periphery for a few
years now.  At one time, some of us at the company I used to work for
thought about developing some JCA-compliant adapters, but for various
reasons never really pursued it.  I've an eye on the technology though.

So... porting Geronimo's implementation is out of the question...

> So I'm back to my original proposal: work on a simple JCA implementation
> (and a JDBC bridge) within Jakarta Commons folks. Have a Facility fa├žade for
> Merlin. That would be the best for everyone.

Basically what you are saying is someone (you) build a generic JCA-based
connection pooling adapter in the Jakarta Commons arena, and then
someone else (possibly me) build a Merlin facility that allows JCA
adapters to be *plugged* into Merlin?

If that is what you are saying, there could be some interesting fallout
for Merlin IMO.  There are a number of ERP adapters out there that you
can buy *off the shelf* that are JCA-compliant.  These ERP adapters
provide connections to many popular back-end business systems like SAP,
Siebel, Oracle Financials, etc.  A JCA facade for Merlin could open the
platform up to some interesting business deployments, in addition to the
benefits of *your* production-quality slick little JCA-based connection
pooler.

> Struts and Tomcat are bundle with DBCP and this seems to be a big
> "warranty". Accordingly to the article the real problems of DBCP appears
> with bad usage, in other words, 'missing close()'. So if Merlin facility can
> guarantee this correct usage, go ahead and sticky with DBCP.

Well, the DBCP component/facility is practically done.  I'll attempt to
ensure that it does not fall into the category of bad usage.  DBCP can
be a connection pooling solution for Merlin for the near-term,
especially in the realm of prototypes and sub-production systems.  And
maybe some stress testing can document the limits to which it behaves
properly.

In the meantime, maybe we can continue to have some JCA discussions and
see where they lead.

> What do you think?
>
> Anyway I have a big itchy to work on a JCA implementation :-)

I think that I'm easily distracted by my itches!  Seriously, I'm
interested in the JCA facade for Merlin for more reasons than just a
high quality connection pool, as I stated above.  Let's keep talking
about this.  I've got a personal roadmap of Merlin things TODO, and
getting the HTTP-driven services ready for prime-time is at the top of
that list.  After I finish that, let me explore the possible interest
level of Merlin having a JCA-compliant plug-in facility within the user
community, and maybe it would warrant a rack-and-stack operation on my
roadmap.

Good stuff, hammett.

Timothy