avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: New Avalon site Look in the making.
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 18:07:26 GMT
On Friday 28 May 2004 03:58, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I don't think it should be up for debate, after all we are an Apache
> hosted project.  We should pay homage to that in some respect.

This statement has been bothering me for a while, and I finally realized that
your view is flawed.

Does MSN pay "homage" to Microsoft?? Except for a similar "Copyright" notice
at the bottom, no other apparent links to Microsoft. Why not? Same reason as
why we don't need to pay "homage" to ASF.

We are not "ASF Hosted". We are "Part Of" ASF, i.e. we are ASF. We don't owe
ASF anything, just like I don't owe myself anything.

This distinction is enormous.
ASF holds rights to the result of the work each individual do free of charge,
or other benefits.

My conclusion, reading the by-laws, is that Avalon sets its own technical
direction, of which the Look and Feel is one detail. And the biggest 'homage'
we can make is to achieve a wider acceptance in the market place.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /