avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: just for ref
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 05:09:09 GMT
On Tuesday 25 May 2004 06:27, you wrote:
> Digging around in the latest generation of the docs. One of the problems
> appears to be the following line.

These two are exact functional equivalents according to the XML and XHTML
specs.

Furthermore, once it is parsed into a DOM or via SAX, using any compliant
parser, it is impossible to know which of the two formats are in the text. In
SAX, <div class="menu"/> will generate a start event and a end event.

I don't even do that distinction. It is the XML serializer built into Xalan
(or whatever XSLT transformer being used) that makes this decision

> And your going to love this! The problem and the solution is the same in
> both IE6 and Mozilla.  Tried to local where "<div class="menu"/>" was
> being generated but without success.

How much do I hate big companies not implementing specs properly ???

It is another of those, Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy from Microsoft.

How do we tackle this?

Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /