avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Magic
Date Sun, 23 May 2004 03:57:17 GMT
On Sunday 23 May 2004 06:27, Leo Simons wrote:

> I would like to be able to install a couple of things into my ant lib
> dir (or something like that similary familiar, an .rpm is good too!),
> have a minimal build.xml file, and then run ant instead of some script
> (well, I really just want good integration with IDEs, gump, and existing
> build systems, including maven-based ones, and ant integration seems to
> be a good way to accomplish that).

:o)
Then you hold on for Stephen's experiment, which is trying to achieve
something like that.

IDE integration is hard, since IDEs IMHO are not that programmer-friendly,
when it comes to solid build support (for instance, my use of source
filtering can get very much in the way.) But I will look into what would be
required to provide an automagic Ant wrapper, for IDEs and similar...

To manage Gump support, I will need a Gump plugin, which is basically a Javac
plugin with dependency resolution disabled. Gump is modified to do a "magic
gump.build" and voila... No big deal :o)

> Oh, and of course I want AOP, groovy, j2ee, atom, web start, xml web
> service support, an emacs mode, and all other kinds of buzzword
> compliance! And at least two oreilly books about the thing. And a JSR.

:o) Of course... AFAIK, after man-years of development (compared to man-hours)
there ain't any books for Maven either.
Buzz-word integration is just a matter of 'man-hours'.

> Seriously, groovy might be a viable alternative to bsh (or an
> experimentally supported alternative, perhaps).

I will check out groovy.
The near-term plan is to support more plugin types. First step is to allow the
BSH ScriptFacade to re-use the compiled Java code instead of the plugin
script files, since a class file is always compiled when a Plugin is
installed.
Then allow for 'pure Java' plugins, and then perhaps add support additional
scripting types. Object-Orientation is a requirement though, so some
scripting is more or less out of the question.

And as I said, I don't know if this will proceed at all. Just fun to see have
much could be done in virtually no time, compared to the multi-year effort
over at Maven.

Cheers
Niclas
--