avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>
Subject commons-configuration and commons-logging
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 15:06:27 GMT
Hi there,

I am new to this list but have been using avalon + ECM in a project before and
plan to use avalon + merlin for my current open-source project.

I can see there is commons-configuration (which seems as it came from avalon)
and commons-logging. I saw in the archive that there was a discussion about
logkit vs. commons-logging + log4j before.
I would like to know if you are planning to directly use c-configuration and
c-logging in the avalon framework API?
I personally think the commons initiative is a great thing and I can still
remember myself digging deep in apache projects sources to find a ready to
use cache, pool or whatever implementation.
Now why not just using these APIs as part of the avalon API?
I can see that changing an API this way in general is a bad thing because
of loosing downward compatibility but on the other hand it is not a bid thing
to replace org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration to
org.apache.commons.configuration and org.apache.avalon.framework.logger
to org.apache.commons.logging (okay the last one is not just a string
replace).

Instead one could use adaptors that do the thing (I think there is one
available for configuration) but now if you want to use a specific or own
implementation of lets say c-configuration that also allows changing parts of
the configuration, etc. you can not access those features across such an
adaptor if its not part of the official API.

So all I am suggesting is think about it.
Disscussions welcome...

Take care
 Jörg