avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE Result]; Installation of Subversion
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 04:54:35 GMT
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 05:52, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Based upon this message, it sounds as if you want to wait.  PLEASE BE
> CLEAR.

I have been clear in the past (March it was!), but that didn't happen.
I also read on infrastructure@ "Helping hands needed", which seems to indicate
that infrastructure@ guys are over-loaded, and could well explain the
'non-action' in March.

I checked with Stephen (and some others), what their view was on keeping the
history in 'two places'. We think the 'must preserve history in one spot' is
VERY overrated, and have no problem to keep the 'old history' in CVS.

I made a very CLEAR proposal, which received consensus except for your -1
(which is UNCLEAR whether that is a veto or a vote against).

I made a CLEAR summary of the vote outcome and its conclusion.

I think I made it fairly clear in the last post that any migration SHOULD not
happen during the release process, especially since it is common sense.

A non-migration of history, doesn't involve infrastructure to be available
when we are ready. I can make the move at the most convenient time,
negotiated between those who are committing to the codebase.
Furthermore, I can prepare the structure, which will be significantly
different (can be seen in svn://repos/test/avalon) , in advance, and not have
figure out branching and merging on Day 1 (took me several years before I
tried that on CVS).

But this has now been 'discussed' on IRC, so I will leave it for now...

Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /