avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <hamilton.olive...@agenciaclick.com.br>
Subject Re: DBCP
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 20:23:37 GMT

> Yeah, I saw that.  Ok... Let's talk about a production-quality
> connection pooling technology for Avalon then.  Something that can
> support high volume and user loads.  What what be your strategy for
> building such a facility?  Would you propose to borrow the code from
> Geronimo's JCA implementation and port it as some kind of Merlin
> facility, or use some different technology?

JCA is cool, although it was made for a different problem, it solves
perfectly the connection management problem. I found no simple
implementation out there, though. And between Geronimo and Jboss
implementation I took Geronimo's for obvious reasons.

While 'borrowing' their implementation works for me (and for the project I'm
working on), it doesn't for Avalon. The geronimo code is not even beta.
Still being refactored and a 'fork' won't be an option. Try to use his
module won't work either cause they are bound to GBean.

So I'm back to my original proposal: work on a simple JCA implementation
(and a JDBC bridge) within Jakarta Commons folks. Have a Facility fa├žade for
Merlin. That would be the best for everyone.

Struts and Tomcat are bundle with DBCP and this seems to be a big
"warranty". Accordingly to the article the real problems of DBCP appears
with bad usage, in other words, 'missing close()'. So if Merlin facility can
guarantee this correct usage, go ahead and sticky with DBCP.

What do you think?

Anyway I have a big itchy to work on a JCA implementation :-)

Cheers,
hammett